SPDocKit Consultant 8
This article describes the new features, improvements, and bug fixes that are delivered in SPDocKit Consultant 8.
SPDocKit Consultant comes as a new product with revamped architecture that simplifies consultants’ day-to-day operations when working with clients. The new approach helps you to take care of your clients’ farms more efficiently! We have simplified the collection of data and SharePoint farm settings. As part of this highly requested feature, we have removed the need to install or activate any software on your client's farm servers. To create snapshots, use the zero-footprint executable SPDocKit Snapshot Wizard - Consultant, or the new SPDocKit Powershell module if you prefer to use PowerShell. More information on how the new product works is available here.
The features above are designed to avoid leaving any trace of files in your client's environment.
Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Product version: 8.0.2 Build number: 10521 Release date: Oct 18, 2018
- PS Module and SPDocKit Consultant Snapshot Wizard - As already mentioned above, these are the two ways of creating a snapshot. There is no need to install or activate any product in your client’s environment anymore. For more information on how to create a snapshot, see this article.
- The new XLSX export introduced to SPDocKit Consultant comes with built-in functionality to sort and filter data in each column! It is available on all reports, and compare results. The old export style is still available under a different name: Legacy Export as XLSX.
- SharePoint 2019 is supported! SPDocKit Consultant has been tested on the latest SharePoint 2019 environments. All features are working flawlessly. Try it out yourself!
- Improved category navigation! Category navigation is positioned on the left side of the main window and can be collapsed to create even more space for reports.
- Each farm name is now automatically set based on the snapshot data, if available. Otherwise, the usual naming convention is used: Farm 1, Farm 2, etc. The # symbol is no longer a part of this naming, since it caused problems when used with cloud-based services.
- The Enable Usage and Health Data Collection report has been renamed "Usage and Health Data Collection Enabled", and the status of two additional timer jobs has been added (Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage Data Processing and Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage Data Import).
- The TempDB Files Best Practice report now checks to see if the tempDB files are on a separate drive from Binaries, Data, and Log Files; however, it is possible for all the tempDB files to be on the same drive. For more information, consult the following link.
- The Content Database Capacity Best Practice report now shows a Data File Free Space column instead of Data File Full.
- The IIS Instance ID column has been added to the IIS Sites report.
- We have added the text "[MB]" to headers of Storage Maximum Level, Storage Warning Level, and Usage Storage columns on the Site Collection Quotas report, to clarify which measurement units are displayed.
- The Snapshot filter can now be extended, in which case it shows information about load depth, snapshot mode, and whether a snapshot is marked as a good configuration.
- The latest snapshot is now automatically opened when viewing the Farm Explorer and Best Practices reports. The "Reopen last accessed snapshot on start up" option has been, therefore, removed from SPDocKit Consultant's Options.
- The details of inner exceptions are now displayed if they occur while taking a snapshot to make the troubleshooting easier.
- Multiple Export buttons have been replaced with one Export button. The default export type is set to XLSX, with an available dropdown option where you can select a different export type.
- Servers in the Browse for Servers list in the Configuration Wizard are now listed in alphabetical order, so you can quickly find the server you need.
- Fixed a bug where special characters in a report name could cause an error when exporting it to an Excel file.
- Fixed a bug where the Source and Target rows of the Compare Results window were out of sync when the horizontal scroll was visible.
- Fixed a bug where a wrong total number of site collections was displayed on the Snapshot Wizard while taking a snapshot in the SharePoint 2016 environment.
- Fixed an issue where the Best Practice Wizard would result in a smart error when a DateTime type of column was selected on the Conditional Formatting step.
- Fixed a bug where changing between Farm Explorer and Best Practices reports caused the app to crash in multi-farm environments.
- Fixed an issue where you could change steps on the Finish step of the Configuration Wizard, which resulted in an error.
- Fixed a bug where AutoSPInstaller would cause a cast exception: "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'."
- Fixed an issue where the License Details form didn’t display the Name and Email values.
- Fixed a rare bug in various BP reports where filtering the underlying data for the report would cause a Syntax error exception.
- Fixed an issue where the Incremental Search BP report didn’t show an error, even when the setting was not in the defined range.